GLYNN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
HISTORIC GLYNN COUNTY COURTHOUSE
701 “G” STREET, 2ND FLOOR, COMMISSIONERS’ MEETING CHAMBERS
THURSDAY, APRIL 2, 2015 AT 6:00 PM
PRESENT: Dale Provenzano, Chairman, District 2
Richard Strickland, Vice Chairman, District 3
Michael Browning, Commissioner, District 1
Bill Brunson, Commissioner, District 4
Allen Booker, Commissioner, District 5
Mark Stambaugh, Commissioner, At Large Post 1
Bob Coleman, Commissioner, At Large Post 2
ALSO PRESENT: Alan Ours, County Administrator
Aaron Mumford, County Attorney
Cindee Overstreet, County Clerk
INVOCATION AND PLEDGE
Mimi Waite presented a petition from the Sidney Environmental Action Team regarding citizens against the paving of the beach parking lots and the overdevelopment of the island.
Terri Karvunis invited the commissioners to a National Day of Prayer Celebration.
Virginia Gunn spoke regarding beach parking and the room at the Casino where the Islands Planning Commission meets.
COMMISSION PRESENTATIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to add item 7.1 to the published agenda to allow the Leadership Georgia organization to serve food in the St. Simons Island Casino Atrium. The motion carried unanimously.
PUBLIC HEARING – Land Use
1. Appeal Board of Zoning Appeals’ Decision - ZV2989 4310 Fourteenth Street: Consider the appeal of a decision by the Zoning Appeals Board regarding a request for a variance for a 1.25-foot encroachment into the side yard setback for an unpermitted deck. Michael Faught owner and applicant; Parcel ID: 04-02971 (D. Hainley) REPORT
The applicant was not present at the meeting; therefore, Community Development Director David Hainley asked that the time be deferred.
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Browning to defer this item to the Board’s April 16, 2015 meeting. The motion carried unanimously.
CONSENT AGENDA – General Business
2. Approved the minutes of the regular meeting held March 19, 2015, subject to any necessary corrections. (C. Overstreet)
3. WSV3017 Flemington Farms (XS3006) 1070 Green Swamp Road: Approved a request to utilize individual water and sewer facilities, as outlined in Section 606.1 of the Glynn County Subdivision Regulations, for a three-lot subdivision zoned PD (Planned Development – ZM2227 Altama Planned Development). The project consists of a 5-acre portion of a 236.27-acre parcel. The closest water and sewer connections are located over 500 feet from this property. Parcel ID: 03-19223. Richard McKinna with Fleming Forest Properties LLC, owner and applicant; Parcel IC: 03-19223 (D. Hainley) Resolution #R-14-15 REPORT
4. WSV3023 Mangram Subdivision (PP3021), 7695 New Jesup Highway: Approved a request to utilize individual water and sewer facilities, as outlined in Section 606.1 of the Glynn County Subdivision Regulations, for a three-lot, 4.03-acre subdivision zoned FA (Forest Agriculture). The closest water and sewer connections are located over 500 feet from this property. Oscar and Sherry Mangram, owners and applicants; Parcel ID: 03-17033. (D. Hainley) Resolution #R-15-15 REPORT
5. Authorized the submission of a grant application, on behalf of the Juvenile Court, to the Georgia Department of Human Services (DHS) through the Promoting Safe and Stable Families (PSSF) FY 2016 KidsNet program and authorized the chairman to sign the required supporting documents. (D. Hainley) REPORT
6. Approved a request from the Nottinghill Homeowners’ Association to participate in the County's Street Lighting Program. (D. Austin) REPORT
7. Approve changing the hours of
operation at the Neptune Fun Zone Pool. REPORT
7.1. Authorized Leadership Georgia to cook food in the St. Simons Casino Atrium during its event on April 30, 2015, subject to receiving any food service permit(s) that may be required by the Glynn County Health Department. REPORT
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to approve all items on the consent agenda, with the exception of item 7 which was removed for discussion. The motion carried unanimously.
ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT AGENDA FOR DISCUSSION
7. Approve changing the hours of operation at the Neptune Fun Zone Pool. REPORT
Recreation Director Wesley Davis said staff reviewed the participation numbers and found that the pool is not used often between 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Changing the hours reduces operations costs and he recommended the change.
A motion was made by Commissioner Stambaugh and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to approve changing the hours of operation at the Neptune Park Fun Zone Pool. The motion carried unanimously.
8. Consider adoption and approval of a Resolution and the form of an Intergovernmental Contract authorizing and requesting the issuance of revenue bonds by the Brunswick and Glynn County Development Authority in the aggregate principal amount not to exceed $18,000,000 for the purpose of financing all or a portion of the costs of the Airport Improvements Project (Airport Project) and the Energy Conservation Improvements Project (QECB Project). REPORT
PUBLIC HEARING – Appeal of Alcoholic Beverage License Denial
9. Conduct a public hearing and consider Parin Patel’s appeal regarding the Board of Commissioners’ February 5, 2015, denial of his alcoholic beverage license application for Parin Patel, LLC, 6133 New Jesup Hwy., Brunswick, GA. The application is for a license to sell distilled spirits, malt beverages and wine not for consumption on premises. (Occupation Tax/Chief Doering) REPORT
The applicant withdrew his appeal prior to the meeting; therefore, this item was not considered by the Board of Commissioners.
EXECUTIVE SESSION/POST EXECUTIVE SESSION ACTION
The Board of Commissioners did not hold an executive session during this meeting.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:42 p.m.
Dale Provenzano, Chairman
Board of Commissioners
Glynn County, Georgia
Cindee S. Overstreet, Clerk