MINUTES

SPECIAL CALLED MEETING

GLYNN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS

W. HAROLD PATE BUILDING

1725 REYNOLDS STREET, 2ND FLOOR CONFERENCE ROOM

TUESDAY, MARCH 17, 2015 AT 3:00 PM

 

PRESENT:                     Dale Provenzano, Chairman, District 2

Richard Strickland, Vice Chairman, District 3

Michael Browning, Commissioner, District 1

Bill Brunson, Commissioner, District 4

Allen Booker, Commissioner, District 5

Mark Stambaugh, Commissioner, At Large Post 1

Bob Coleman, Commissioner, At Large Post 2

 

ALSO PRESENT:           Alan Ours, County Administrator

Aaron Mumford, County Attorney

Cindee Overstreet, County Clerk

 

Chairman Provenzano announced item 1 would be discussed after the other items.

Discussion and consideration of the following:

 

1.         Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST 6)

 

                        County Attorney Aaron Mumford provided a timeline of actions needed to call for a SPLOST referendum. The commissioners planned to continue to review the projects staff had submitted for consideration and add/delete items.

                        This topic will be discussed again at the Board’s April work session.

 

2.         Update on disaster drill at the Brunswick Airport (J. Wiggins)

 

                        Emergency Management Director Jay Wiggins and Interim Fire Chief Chipper Gardner briefed the Board on the recent disaster drill held at the Brunswick Airport. This drill is conducted every three years in accordance with Federal Airport Administration (FAA) requirements.

 

3.         Village Creek (Austin Catts) 

 

                        On behalf of the Village Creek Landing and P&M Cedar Products, Austin Catts asked the Board to consider abandoning a portion of the right-of-way along South Harrington Road. They will convey a permanent access easement to the roadway and create nature trails, improve the boat ramp, and provide eighteen permanent parking spaces at the current parking lot for the boaters.

                        Duane Harris recommended applying for a grant from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to help fund renovations to the boat ramp. He said the grant money would be available July 1 and would provide 75% of the money needed. Glynn County would provide the other 25% in in-kind services.  The ramp is estimated to cost $90,000.

                        P&M plans to develop the property it owns under a Planned Development Text. The property is currently zoned R-6, but Mr. Catts said it would be less dense than R-6 allows. The development will provide marsh views and green space.

 

4.         Presentation from Cap Fendig regarding the GA/FL football celebrations at Frat Beach. (B. Coleman)

 

                        Mr. Fendig asked that a committee be formed to review and recommended changes to the Frat Beach response. It was decided that Commissioner Brunson and Commissioner Strickland would work with Mr. Fendig on a recommendation.

 

EXECUTIVE SESSION/POST EXECUTIVE SESSION ACTION

 

The Board did hold an executive session during this meeting.

 

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.

 

 

 

                                     

Dale Provenzano, Chairman

Board of Commissioners

Glynn County, Georgia

 

Attest:

 

 

                                     

Cindee S. Overstreet, Clerk