AGENDA and MINUTE SUMMARY
PRESENT: Milton Lynn, Chairperson
Fred Tullos, Vice Chairperson
Commissioner, Virginia Gunn
Commissioner Jack Hardman
Commissioner Gladys Martin-Lyde
Commissioner James E. "Sonny" Miller
Commissioner Robert E. Strickland
ALSO PRESENT: Lee Gilmour, County Administrator
Gary Moore, County Attorney
Cynthia J. McKinley, County Clerk
SWEARING IN OF NEW TAX ASSESSORS
Judge Ernest Gilbert administered the Oath of Office to the four newly appointed Tax Assessors, Kevin Keller, George Scarpalezos, Eugene Roberts and William Wright.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
20. Approve Minute Summary of Regular Meeting held Tuesday, January 16, 1996.
Motion to approve, subject to corrections, by Commissioner Tullos, seconded by Chairman Hardman. Unanimous.
CITIZEN COMMITTEE REPORTS
21. a) Inter-Agency Criminal Justice Task Force - Chairman Hardman made a brief report.
b) Pension Plan Committee - Commissioner Tullos gave a brief report, which included the following items referred to the Board of Commissioners:
1. Recommend the participation of the Chief Magistrate Judge in the Glynn County, Georgia Defined Benefit Pension Plan, retroactive to the date he assumed office, January 1, 1993, with funding for this benefit coming from an increase of $2.00 in the civil filing fee to be paid into the pension fund for this specific purpose. (Vote 8-0-0 with Mr. Gilmour out of the room.)
Motion to approve authorization for the Chairperson to sign an Amendment by Commissioner Tullos, seconded by Chairman Hardman. Motion contingent upon preparation of an Amendment by County Attorney. Unanimous
2. Recommend authorizing Buck Consultants to do an actuarial valuation of the Pension Plan at an estimated cost of $8,500, which is to be paid from the assets of the Pension Plan. Historically, this valuation is done every other year, with the last one being done in January, 1994. (Vote 8-1-0 with Charles Lewis opposing, in favor of an RFP).
Motion to approve by Commissioner Tullos, seconded by Commissioner Hardman. Unanimous.
POINT OF PRIVILEGE
Chairperson Lynn stated that since he did not nominate anyone at the last Meeting to be appointed to the 1996 Tree Advisory Board, he would like to nominate Tami Drury at this time.
Motion to approve by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Tullos. Unanimous.
Commissioner Gunn stated she wished to nominate Carolyn Sartor, as her appointment.
Motion to approve by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Strickland. Unanimous.
ITEM REFERRED FROM FINANCE COMMITTEE
22. Receive a recommendation from the Solid Waste Technical Evaluation Committee relative to a Request for Proposal (RFP) for Sanitation Collection Services. This item was forwarded to the full Commission with no recommendation from the Finance Committee. (Vote: 3-0-0)
Commissioner Lynn opened up discussion for the Public. The following concerned citizens were briefly heard from:
The Commissioners also heard from the three outside bidders:
Sidney Thomas, Browning Ferris Industries of Florida, Inc., Jacksonville, Florida
Jeffrey Chapman, Chapman Waste Disposal, Brunswick, Georgia
Andy Crawford, Southland Environmental Services, Inc., Jacksonville, Florida
Discussion among the Commissioners commenced, at the end of which time the following motion was made:
Motion by Commissioner Strickland to have the Chairman appoint a Committee of three Commissioners, who using staff and resources available, will come up with some facts about the RFP's we have received. If a time extension for the projected award date is necessary, one will be requested. Two public hearings, one on St. Simons and one in Brunswick, will also be held to receive citizen input. Commissioner Gunn seconded the motion. Motion unanimously passed.
Chairperson Lynn appointed Commissioner Gunn, Commissioner Tullos, and Commissioner Strickland to the newly formed Committee.
COMMISSIONER URGENT AND EMERGENCY ITEMS
Chairperson Lynn asked Becky Rowell if there were swa-cars on St. Simons Island for people not wishing to pay the $40 fee to put their garbage in. Ms. Rowell said that we have green boxes at the Recycling Center on the Island.
Motion by Chairman Hardman to have green boxes at the manned Recycling Centers in Brunswick, seconded by Commissioner Tullos. Unanimous.
CHIEF OF POLICE ITEMS
Chief Alexander requested approval for Police Office Joe Fales to retain his service revolver upon retirement, after 25 years of service.
Motion by Chairman Hardman to approve, seconded by Commissioner Strickland Unanimous
Mr. Gilmour stated that the City had asked if the Joint Meeting could be scheduled for Monday, February 12, 1996. Chairperson Lynn instructed Mr. Gilmour to try to set the meeting for Tuesday, February 13, 1996 at 6:00 p.m., the Board's regularly scheduled meeting date. At which time, the Joint Meeting would be the only agenda item. All other business will be held on Thursday, February 15, 1996. There will also be sandwiches at the Joint Meeting.
Motion to adjourn by Commissioner Lyde, seconded by Commissioner Tullos. Unanimous.