PRESENT: Fred E. Tullos, Chairperson
Geraldine "Gerry" Robertson, Vice Chairperson
A. Jerome Clark, Commissioner
Thomas B. "Tommy" Clark, Commissioner
David L. Dowdy, Commissioner
Jack Hardman, Commissioner
ABSENT: Robert E. Strickland, Commissioner
ALSO PRESENT: Lee Gilmour, County Administrator
Desiree Watson, County Attorney
Cynthia McKinley, County Clerk
INVOCATION AND PLEDGE
1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Approve Minutes of Regular Meeting held Thursday, September 4, 1997.
Motion to approve, subject to corrections, by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark.
Commissioner Robertson stated that under Administrator's Item #3, the actual amount received from the Visitor's Bureau was $13,740.
Corrections noted and minutes unanimously adopted.
2. EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH
Presentation of Plaque and $50 check to Chris Napier, Engineering Specialist, and Chris Hawkins, Engineering Assistant II, both of whom work in the Engineering Division of Public Works.
Adoption of Proclamation declaring Constitution Week. (F. Tullos)
Motion to approve by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Robertson. Unanimously approved.
Michael Haisten, PGA of America, to discuss Glynco Golf Course. (F. Tullos)
This item withdrawn per Mr. Haisten's request.
POINT OF PRIVILEGE
Aero Bridge Corporation was added to Agenda per request of Commissioner Dowdy.
Chairperson Tullos referred this item to Finance Committee.
5. COMMITTEE REPORTS
Casino Advisory Board
Request adoption of new by-laws. (W. Davis)
Motion to approve by Commissioner Robertson, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark. Unanimously approved.
Mr. Gilmour introduced Mr. Stephen Brian, newly appointed Managing Director of the Airport Commission.
6. PUBLIC HEARINGS
Request for a Special Use Permit in a R-12 One-Family Residential Zoning District for the location of a mobile home has a medical hardship. Subject property located at 154 Glyndale Circle, Lot 14, Glyndale Subdivision, Section D, consisting of approximately 4 acres, fronting 250 feet on the south side of Glyndale Circle. Property owned by J. C. McCarthy, Jr. (K. Flanagan)
Mr. Matthew Kicklighter spoke in favor of the application.
Motion by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark, to approve Resolution No. R-49-97, subject to mobile home not being visible from the road. Said Resolution is on file and made a part of the permanent records in the Clerk's Office. Unanimously approved.
Staff was directed to bring a full report back at the second meeting in October on all hardship permits that have extended beyond the second two year extension.
(1) Consider Application for Abandonment of an Unopened Portion of an Alley between Tax Parcels 3, 8, 9, 11, and 15, Block "S", St. Simons Heights Subdivision, St. Simons Island, Georgia. Curtis Manning, Karen Manning, and Jane Mitchell applicants. (R. Richard)
Mr. Fleming Martin, Attorney at Law, spoke in favor of the applicants.
Mr Richard Stokes, representing several neighbors, spoke in opposition to application.
Motion by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark to approve Abandonment Resolution No. R-47-97, which is on file and made a part of the permanent records in the Clerk's Office. Motion passed 4-0-2, Chairperson Tullos and Commissioner Robertson abstained.
(2) Consider application for Abandonment of a Portion of a 20 foot Private Access Easement known as Sapp Road; a Portion of Old Scranton Road, and a Portion of Jacobs Road, Brunswick, Georgia. Brad Johnson, Partner, Golden Isles Vest, LLC, applicant. (R. Richard)
Mr. Tom Lee, Attorney at Law, spoke in favor of applicants. Mr. Sapp spoke in favor of application. Bridget Carlino the other primary landowner also spoke in favor of application.
Motion by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark, to approve Resolution No. R-48-97, subject to County Attorney's recommendation that if the road was not paved by 12/31/98, the abandonment would be null and void. Said Resolution is on file and made a part of the permanent records in the Clerk's Office. Unanimously approved.
7. CONSENT AGENDA
A. Request authorization to waive 90 day waiting period for insurance benefits for new Managing Director of Airport Commission and his dependents. (C. Adams)
B. Request authorization for County Administrator to attend Georgia City-County Management Association Fall Meeting, October 22-24, 1997, Callaway Gardens. (L. Gilmour)
Motion to approve Consent Agenda by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Chairperson Tullos. Chairperson Tullos and Commissioner Tommy Clark voted in favor of the motion. Commissioner Robertson, Commissioner Hardman, and Commissioner Jerome Clark opposed. Commissioner Dowdy out of the room.
Motion by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark, to approve Item 7B. Unanimously approved.
8. Mr. Tom Lee to clarify development plans for Golden Isles Plaza and Home Depot. (R. Strickland)
This item deferred until October 2, 1997 Meeting, per Mr. Lee's request.
9. Presentation from Mr. Dale Broussard regarding channel allocation. (L. Gilmour)
Mr. Broussard addressed the Commission's request to move the Christian Television Network back to it's previous channel. Mr. Broussard advised that the decision was made to not do that, but to move it to a channel that is more readily accessible to the majority of television owners under the cable company's basic service without the use of a convertor box.
Report received for informational purposes.
10. Mr. Don Hogan to discuss ruling of Planner Dick Newbern with regard to height requirements on roof of Pelican's Perch, St. Simons Island Village area. (G. Robertson)
Motion by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Dowdy, to approve the application as submitted by applicant. Unanimously approved.
Motion by Commissioner Robertson, seconded by Commissioner Dowdy, to direct Planning Commission to look at inconsistencies between core planning ordinance and the Village Preservation Association. Also look into to the height requirements for the entire County. Unanimously approved.
11. Request appeal for variance to Glynn County Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance for Gate House for Hawkins Island. Sea Island Company applicant. (E. Carter)
This item withdrawn.
12. Request authorization for City water hook-ups for following:
A. Barwick Mini Warehouses
B. Kid R Kids
C. Morningside of Brunswick (E. Carter)
This item withdrawn.
13. Request approval for Change Order No. 1 for I-95/Exit 6 Wastewater Treatment Plant Effluent Force Main contract. (B. Benson)
Motion to approve by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark.
Motion by Commissioner Dowdy to defer, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark. Unanimously approved. Commissioner Robertson out of the room.
14. Consider Permitting Process for Torras Causeway/Marina Drive. (R. Richard)
Motion by Commissioner Robertson, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark, to discuss this situation with Boshears, Scarlett, Tillman, and Kemp. Unanimously approved.
15. Request adoption of County's Comprehensive Plan. (K. Flanagan)
This item deferred until October 2, 1997 Meeting.
16. Discuss of Sign Ordinance regarding fluttering ribbons. (J. Hardman)
Motion by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Dowdy, to ask the Planning Commission to look into the entire sign ordinance and to place a moratorium on the writing of tickets on violations until after a report has been made. Unanimously approved.
17. Chairman's appointment to Rape Crisis Board. (F. Tullos)
No action taken.
COMMISSIONER URGENT AND EMERGENCY ITEMS
Commissioner Tommy Clark
With regard to the logging trucks turning off of Highway 341, would like to have staff look into the possibility of putting a stop sign two car lengths back on Ross Road at 9th street, so that the truck will have room to turn without hitting the vehicles waiting at red light.
Motion to approve by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Dowdy. Unanimously approved.
Request a list of all leases that the County participates in, reviewing the details of same, such as the Glynco Golf Course lease.
One item of potential property acquisition for Executive Session.
Veterans request authorization to hold parade on Veterans Day.
Motion to approve by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark. Unanimously approved.
CHIEF OF POLICE ITEMS
Reported that the City has no problem with the modular classrooms discussed at last meeting. Requests authorization to proceed.
Motion to approve by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Hardman. Unanimously approved.
COUNTY ATTORNEY ITEMS
1. Pending litigation for Executive Session.
2. Requests authorization to proceed with possible condemnation of public property along Altama Connector, should utility conflicts arise.
Motion to approve by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark, Unanimously approved.
1. For informational purposes only, official notices regarding the landfill closure effective 10/18/97 have been sent out.
2. St. Simons Island Methodist Church as requesting authorization to hold annual pumpkin sale at Demere Annex.
Motion to approve by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Robertson. Unanimously approved.
3. Items of Personnel and Litigation for Executive Session.
Motion by Commissioner Jerome Clark, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark, to adjourn to Executive Session to discuss items of real estate acquisition, pending and potential litigation and personnel. Unanimously approved.
BACK IN OPEN SESSION
1. Motion by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Robertson, to allow School Board to participate in annual County Auction. Unanimously approved.
2. Motion by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark, to concur with Administrator's recommendation to appoint Becky Rowell as the new Director of Personnel. Motion passed 5-1, Commissioner Dowdy opposed.
3. Motion by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark, to approve Executive Session Minutes of September 4, 1997. Unanimously approved.
Board of Commissioners
Glynn County, Georgia
Fred Tullos, Chairman
Cynthia J. McKinley, Clerk