BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
GLYNN COUNTY, GEORGIA
HELD AT THE NEW GLYNN COUNTY COURTHOUSE
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 15, 1998 AT 6:00 PM
PRESENT: Fred E. Tullos, Chairperson
Geraldine "Gerry" Robertson, Vice Chairperson
Jerome Clark, Commissioner
Thomas B. "Tommy" Clark, Commissioner
David L. Dowdy, Commissioner
Jack Hardman, Commissioner
Robert E. Strickland, Commissioner
ALSO PRESENT: Lee Gilmour, County Administrator
Gary Moore, County Attorney
Vanessa D. Mincey, County Clerk
Carl Alexander, Chief of Police
INVOCATION AND PLEDGE
1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Approve Minutes of Regular Meeting held October 1, 1998.
Motion to approve, subject to any necessary corrections, by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark. Unanimously approved.
2. EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH
Presentation of Plaque and $50 check to Betty Williams, Administrative Secretary II, Personnel Department.
A. A Proclamation designating the month of October, 1998 "National Disability Employment Awareness Month" in Glynn County. (F. Tullos)
Motion to approve by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark. Unanimously approved.
B. A Proclamation declaring the month of October, 1998 "National Arts and Humanities Month". (F. Tullos)
Motion to approve by Commissioner Dowdy seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark. Unanimously approved.
C. A Proclamation declaring the week of October 18th thru October 24th, 1998 as "YWCA Week Without Violence." (F. Tullos)
Motion to approve by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Commissioner Jerome Clark. Unanimously approved.
Presentation of checks by Senator Renee` Kemp to the Glynn County Recreation Department for improvements to various area parks.
Senator Kemp made a brief statement to the Board regarding the checks and the desire to meet with the local elected officials as soon as possible after the November 3, 1998 elections to discuss upcoming legislative issues impacting Glynn County and Coastal Georgia.
5. PUBLIC HEARINGS
A. Renaming of Cemetery Road
Consider proposal to rename Cemetery Road. (J. Bruner)
After hearing the presentation from the County Engineer and comments from affected citizens/applicant, motion by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Dowdy to change the name of Cemetery Road to "Josie B" Road. Unanimously approved.
B. Solid Waste Management Plan
Consider a resolution authorizing staff to transmit the draft Solid Waste Management Report of Accomplishments 1993 - 1998 and Short Term Work Program 1999 - 2003 to the Coastal Georgia Regional Development Center for review. (C. Olness)
The Board heard from the following person(s):
Motion by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark authorizing a resolution to transmit the draft Solid Waste Management Report of Accomplishments and Short Term Work Program 1999-2003 to Coastal Georgia Regional Development Center for review. Unanimously approved as resolution #R-60-98 with original documents filed per #R-06-98.
6. CONSENT AGENDA
A. Personnel Committee
1. Recommend approval of a request to change the vacant administrative assistant position in the Public Works Department to an administrative analyst position. (Vote: 3-0)
2. Recommend approval of a request from Environmental Quality Director Keith Flanagan to amend the Position Classification Plan to include the budgeted position of Water and Sewer Lift Service Technician. (Vote: 3-0)
3. Recommend approval of the Fire Department salary survey as presented with the exception of the position of Deputy Chief. (Vote: 3-0)
4. Recommend approval of the exempt (salaried)/non-exempt (hourly) levels for the Administration, Information Technology, Public Works, Personnel and Recreation and Parks Departments. (Vote: 3-0)
5. Recommend sending to employee hearings an amendment to the Glynn County Personnel Policy which will address computer security violations as a cause of adverse action. (Vote: 3-0)
1. Consider Final Plat Approval - Oak Forest, Phase III (FP-98-13) - a sixty (60) lot subdivision located along Brockington Drive on the north side of Demere Road on St. Simons Island. This is Phase III of a multi-phased subdivision development. Harry Driggers, applicant. (C. Taylor)
2. Consider acceptance of a drainage easement for Pertol Development to include an additional 10 foot road easement. (J. Bruner)
3. Consider issuance of a revocable permit to the St. Simons Optimist Club for their annual Christmas tree sale.
4. Consider request for a revocable permit to provide service for FLETC at Waverly Pines Subdivision. (E. Carter)
Motion by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark to approve consent agenda items. Unanimously approved.
7. ITEMS REFERRED FROM FINANCE COMMITTEE
Consider awarding contract for County health insurance. (R. Rowell)
A. After brief discussion, motion by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark to award the bid for Group Health Insurance Administration Services to GA Healthcare Partnership as recommended by the Personnel Director. Unanimously approved.
B. After brief discussion, motion by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Dowdy to award the bid for Flex Product Plan Administration Services to Hunt Dupree Rhine as recommended by the Personnel Director. Unanimously approved.
8. ITEMS REFERRED FROM PERSONNEL COMMITTEE
A. Consider proposed language to the Summary Plan Description to re-define an active employee for purposes of maintaining health coverage.
Motion to approve amendment changing the calendar month period from "3 months to 12 months" by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark including the recommendation of "medical only". Unanimously approved.
B. Consider an incentive program from departments participating in the 1998 United Way drive.
Motion by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark to approve Personnel Director's recommendation regarding a picnic lunch held on the Historic Courthouse grounds for the department with the most contributors (by percentage of employees) and the department showing the greatest increase over last year's contributions. After brief discussion, motion carries with a vote of 6-1 with Commissioner Dowdy opposed.
9. ITEM REFERRED FROM PENSION ADMINISTRATION COMMITTEE
Reconsider Amendment 19 to the Glynn County Defined Benefit Pension Plan to allow it to become retroactive July 1, 1995 to allow payment of a actuarial reduced benefit to a surviving spouse.
Motion to approve by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Dowdy. Unanimously approved.
10. Consider a resolution declaring certain County assets surplus.
Motion to approve resolution declaring certain assets surplus by Commissioner Jerome Clark, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark. Unanimously approved as resolution #R-61-98 with original documents filed per #R-06-98.
11. Consider awarding the bid for two (2) new fire engines for Stations 7 & 8. SPLOST III funding source. (C. Johnson)
Motion by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark to award the bid to the low bidder, Firefighting Suppliers in the amount of $417,698.00. Unanimously approved.
12. Consider Bond #05528 for Ternest Acres development project, Brunswick, GA. Bond Amount - $2,500.00. (C. Taylor)
Motion by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark to extend bond in the amount of $2,500.00 for 180 days with developer required to furnish a new cashiers check or have the bank confirm that the old cashiers check will remain in force for the entire length of the bond extension. Unanimously approved.
13. Consider proposal from C.H.A.T. (Citizens for Humane Animal Treatment). (F. Tullos)
Board hears presentation from Ms. Dee Underwood.
After brief discussion Motion to approve, in concept, the recommendation presented by Ms. Underwood regarding a High Volume, Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinics by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark. Unanimously approved.
14. Report from Tripartate Committee regarding indigent defense contract. (J. Hardman)
Motion by Commissioner Strickland, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark to extend the indigent defense contract with Mr. James Yancey for a period of one (1) year. Unanimously approved.
15. Consider adoption of Ordinance relative to "Dogs on the Beach". (G. Moore)
Motion to approve adoption of the ordinance by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark. Motion carries with a vote of 5-0-2 with Commissioner Hardman, and Commissioner Strickland abstaining. Approved as ordinance amendment #0-1998-18 with original documents filed per #R-06-98.
16. Consider designation of Beach accesses. (L. Gilmour)
A. Motion to designate the beach accesses as presented by the administrator by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Strickland. Unanimously approved.
B. Motion by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Hardman authorizing going to public hearing regarding abandonment of an easement on Paige Ave. Motion carries with a vote of 6-1 with Commissioner Robertson opposed.
17. Consider final report regarding the status of the Metro Drug Squad/Unit. (C. Alexander)
Presentation of this report was not made at this meeting. Presentation will be made at a later date.
18. Consider proposal for revising staggered term process for advisory committees. (L. Gilmour)
After presentation by the administrator and brief discussion motion by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Robertson to accept the administrator's recommendation regarding revising the staggered term process with the correction of "ending date of that commissioner's term.
After further discussion the above motion and second were withdrawn. Motion by Commissioner Hardman, seconded by Commissioner Strickland to defer this item to the next meeting. Unanimously approved.
COMMISSIONER URGENT AND EMERGENCY ITEMS
Consider direction regarding the control of future landfills locating in Glynn County.
Motion by Commissioner Dowdy seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark directing staff to work on an ordinance to address this issue. Unanimously approved.
Commissioner Hardman commended the fire department for its "Fire Safety Week" activities. Commissioner Dowdy also commented on the activities and expressed interest in some public relations robots that may be used by the County as educational tools suggesting that staff look at look at these robots during the next budget year.
Comments regarding the issue of a separate planning commission for St. Simons Island and the formation of a committee to review and revise the present zoning ordinances.
Commissioner Jerome Clark - None
Commissioner Tommy Clark - None
Commissioner Dowdy - None
Chairman Tullos - None
CHIEF OF POLICE ITEMS
1. Report regarding the Police Department's efforts toward achieving state accreditation status.
2. Personnel item for discussion in Executive Session.
COUNTY ATTORNEY ITEMS
Items of pending/potential litigation for Executive Session.
Board attendance to the ACCG District Meeting and Chamber of Commerce 1998 State of the Port Luncheon and authorize the payment of any associated fees.
Motion to approve Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark. Motion carries with a vote of 6-0 with Commissioner Tommy Clark out of the room.
Motion by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark to adjourn to Executive Session for the purpose of discussing items regarding personnel and pending/potential litigation.
Back in Regular Session.
Motion to approve minutes of the October 1, 1998 Executive Session meeting by
Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Jerome Clark. Motion carries with a vote of 6-0 with Commissioner Hardman absent.
Police Department budget amendment/reduction regarding the CODE Enforcement Unit.
Motion to approve budget amendment by Commissioner Dowdy, seconded by Commissioner Tommy Clark. Motion carries with a vote of 6-0 with Commissioner Hardman absent.
Consider the necessity of a street cut on Frederica Road. This was provided for informational purposes only. No Board action required.
Attest: Board of Commissioners
Glynn County, Georgia
Vanessa D. Mincey, Clerk Fred Tullos, Chairman