JOINT MEETING BETWEEN
CITY OF BRUNSWICK
GLYNN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
JEKYLL ISLAND AUTHORITY
HELD THURSDAY, MAY 28, 1998
HISTORIC COURTHOUSE 4:00 PM
PRESENT: Fred Tullos, Chairman, Board of Commissioners
Mayor, Brad Brown, City of Brunswick
Gerry Robertson, Vice-Chairperson, Board of Commissioners
Roosevelt Lawrence, Mayor Pro-Tem, City of Brunswick
A. Jerome Clark, Commissioner, Board of Commissioners
Tommy Clark, Commissioner, Board of Commissioners
David Dowdy, Commissioner, Board of Commissioners
Jack Hardman, Commissioner, Board of Commissioners
Doris Davis, Commissioner, City of Brunswick
Harold Jennings, City of Brunswick
Jonathan Williams, City of Brunswick
Phil Donahue, Jekyll Island Authority
ABSENT: Robert Strickland, Commissioner, Board of Commissioners
ALSO PRESENT:Lee Gilmour, County Administrator, Board of Commissioners
Mark Mitchell, City Manager, City of Brunswick
Gary Moore, County Attorney, Board of Commissioners
Lynn Frye, City Attorney, City of Brunswick
Carl Alexander, Police Chief, Glynn County
Vanessa Mincey, County Clerk
INVOCATION & PLEDGE
1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Approve Minutes of Joint Meeting held April 30, 1998.
This item was deferred to the June 11, 1998 meeting to allow opportunity for review.
2. HB 489 ISSUES
A. Discuss proposal to address requirements of O.C.G.A. §36-70-20 et seq relative to annexation dispute. (Proposal outlined below)
1. When the City of Brunswick is approached or desires to annex property into the City, the City will provide the below information to the Board of Commissioners and the Planning Commission.
-- Area to be annexed
-- Proposed City land use zoning (for a period of at least one (1) year)
-- Municipal services provider(s).
2. The Planning Commission will review the annexation request in accordance with the provisions of O.C.G.A. 36-70-20 et seq and recommend to the Board.
-- Issue a statement of no objection
-- Issue a statement of objective based on State statue criteria.
3. The Board will review the Planning Commission's recommendation and vote accordingly. If the Board differs from the Planning Commission recommendation, it must state its reasons per State statute.
4. The City of Brunswick will amend its annexation request to address County concerns or state its counter position based on State statue.
5. The City of Brunswick or the County will try to resolve their differences within thirty (30) days of the City of Brunswick's response. Should the situation not be resolved at the end of the period, the issue will be forwarded to the Coastal Georgia Regional
Development Center for a determination.
6. The CGARDC decision shall be considered final unless either party elects to file suit in the Glynn County Superior Court.
After brief discussion, it was the consensus of the governing bodies that the following modifications be made to the proposal.
A. Establishment of a time deadline regarding the County's response back to the City regarding the annexation application. Because of the various time frames involved these are to be established and included in the resolution by the City and County attorney.
B. Item #5, line 3 - Draw up an Agreement that would allow the governing body's to either agree on a arbitrator or they can name a arbitrator and name a third arbitrator for a non-binding arbitration.
C. Item #1, line 2 - Should read "Glynn County" instead of "Board of Commissioners".
The resolution is to be prepared by the attorney's and presented at the next joint meeting.
2. B. Discuss service areas to be examined by the HB 489 Citizens Advisory Committee. (Recommended service areas listed below.)
Police Protection Services
Fire Protection Services
Emergency Medical Services
After brief discussion motion by Mayor Brown, seconded by Commissioner Robertson to proceed and charge the committee with the following services area recommendations to be reviewed as prioritized, leaving the door open for additional items/areas in the future. Vote 12-0 with Commissioner Strickland absent.
1. Water & Sewer Services
2. Fire Protection and Emergency Medical Services
3. Police Protection Services
Next Joint Meeting
The next joint meeting will be held Thursday, June 11, 1998 at City Hall, 601 Gloucester Street, beginning at 4:00 pm.
3. CITY OF BRUNSWICK ISSUES
Keep Brunswick-Golden Isles Beautiful - Funding
After a brief discussion it was the of the consensus of the City of Brunswick to participate in the funding of the Keep Brunswick-Golden Isles Beautiful program subject to the committee present to the City of Brunswick a task specific contract like the one presented to the County, to be listed as a non-departmental expense with a separate line item. No vote was taken by either group at this time.
There being no other business to discuss Commissioner Lawrence moved that the meeting be adjourned.
1. Budget allocation information for the Georgia Extension Service
Motion by Commissioner Tommy Clark, seconded by Commissioner Robertson approve the recommendation to allocate to the County Extension Service's FY 98-99 operating budget the sum $52,800.00. Vote 5-0 with Commissioner Dowdy and Commissioner Strickland absent.
City of Brunswick Board of Commissioners
Brunswick, Georgia Glynn County, Georgia
Brad Brown, Mayor Fred Tullos, Chairman
Vanessa D. Mincey, County Clerk