GLYNN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
HISTORIC GLYNN COUNTY COURTHOUSE
701 “G” STREET, 2ND FLOOR, COMMISSIONERS’ MEETING CHAMBERS
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2011 AT 6:00 PM
PRESENT: Tom Sublett, Chairman, District 2
Amy Callaway, Vice Chairman, District 1
Richard Strickland, Commissioner, District 3
Mary Hunt, Commissioner, District 4
Jerome Clark, Commissioner, District 5
Clyde Taylor, Commissioner, At Large Post 1
Bob Coleman, Commissioner, At Large Post 2
ALSO PRESENT: Alan Ours, County Administrator
Aaron Mumford, County Attorney
Cindee Overstreet, County Clerk
To view an item’s support documentation, click on its Link
INVOCATION AND PLEDGE
Wayne Hutcheson shared his concerns about the job market and the closures of businesses in Glynn County and asked the Board to provide the leadership necessary to help create more jobs. To accomplish this, he suggested creating a committee to research and provide recommendations and offered to work with the Board in this endeavor.
COMMISSION PRESENTATIONS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. Recognized outgoing and former Pension Committee members Michael Donner of the Glynn County Sheriff’s Office and Robyn Hummel of Community Development who both served two terms. (O. Reed)
PUBLIC HEARING – Alcoholic Beverage License
2. Consider the issuance of a 2011 alcoholic beverage license for Friendly Quick Stop, 6131 New Jesup Hwy, Brunswick, Georgia. The license is to sell malt beverages and wine, not for consumption on premises of a convenience store; no Sunday sales. This is an owner change of a previously licensed establishment. Ajaykumar Patel, licensee. (Occupation Tax/Chief Doering) Link
Ajaykumar Patel, licensee, was present at the meeting as required by ordinance. Police Chief Matt Doering said the applicant met the requirements for consideration of issuance of the license.
This item was opened for public comment, yet no one addressed the Board.
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Hunt to approve the issuance of a 2011 alcoholic beverage license for Friendly Quick Stop. The motion carried unanimously.
3. Consider the issuance of a 2011 alcoholic beverage license for Ray's Corner, 4341 New Jesup Hwy, Brunswick, Georgia. The license is to sell malt beverages and wine, not for consumption on premises of a convenience store; no Sunday sales. This is an owner change of a previously licensed establishment. Vipulkumar Ray, licensee. (Occupation Tax/Chief Doering) Link
Chief Doering reported Mr. Vipulkumar Ray, licensee, had called the office earlier in the day and notified staff he did not wish to obtain the license.
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Callaway to defer indefinitely the issuance of the 2011 alcoholic beverage license for Ray’s Corner. The motion carried unanimously.
CONSENT AGENDA – General Business
4. Approved the minutes of the special called meeting held Tuesday, January 18, 2011, and regular meeting held January 20, 2011, subject to any necessary corrections. (C. Overstreet)
5. Adopted a resolution supporting the installation of sound barriers by the Georgia Department of Transportation along two sections of I-95 that run next to residential areas of Blythe Island. (A. Callaway) Resolution #R-02-11 Link
6. WSV2151 Clayton Lands – Approved application WSV2151 for a water and sewer variance under §606.1 of the Glynn County Subdivision Regulations for a three-lot expedited subdivision necessitated by lack of available public sewer and water. The project (XS2146) consists of 17.844 acres located on the south side of SR 99, approximately 600 feet west of its intersection with Godley Road. The closest public water and sewer are approximately two miles away. Parcel ID 03-07221. James Clayton, owner, is the applicant. Note: The Finance Committee recommended approval of this application at its February 2, 2011, meeting. (Y. Phillips) Link
7. Authorized use of the remaining SPLOST 3 funds for the following projects with any additional funds allocated to Road Resurfacing: Link
Spur 25 Design and Right-of-Way Acquisition $ 200,000
Chapel Crossing & Perry Lane Rd. Design $ 121,000
Road Resurfacing (approx. 1.08 miles) $ 125,000
Note: The Finance Committee recommended approval of this item at its February 2, 2011, meeting.
A motion was made by Commissioner Callaway and seconded by Commissioner Strickland to approve all items on the consent agenda. The motion carried unanimously.
8. Consider appointing the following citizens to serve on the Islands Planning Commission as nominated by the respective County Commissioners.
Nominee District Nominating Commissioner
John Dow District 3 Commissioner Richard Strickland
Stanley Humphries District 4 Commissioner Mary Hunt
Paul Sanders At-Large Post 1 Commissioner Clyde Taylor
The terms begin immediately and expire December 31, 2014.
A motion was made by Commissioner Callaway and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to affirm the appointments as presented. The motion carried unanimously.
Point of privilege
County Administrator Alan Ours presented the Board with a list of tasks for the jail project as follows:
- Advertise Public Notice in local newspapers, County website and Facebook page seeking public comments on the two site locations as recommended by the Jail Advisory Committee.
- Engage architect to overlay schematic design on each site to determine the amount of land needed for initial construction and future expansion.
- Engage property owners, surveyors, environmental firms and appraisers to determine rights of entry, actual property boundaries, environmental issues and property valuation of each site.
- Finalize available funding in SPLOST 5 for the design and construction of a new jail.
- Enter into an agreement to purchase a site for the jail project.
- Adopt a resolution regarding the location of the detention center.
- Enter into contract with an architect to design the facility.
- Solicit competitive bids/proposals for the construction of the facility and accept bid in accordance with the law. Enter into contract with successful bidder/proposer.
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to adjourn to Executive Session to discuss pending and potential litigation. The motion carried unanimously.
Back in Session
A motion was made by Commissioner Strickland and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to adjourn Executive Session and enter into regular session. The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Commissioner Hunt and seconded by Commissioner Coleman to approve the County Attorney’s recommendation regarding potential litigation. The motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Commissioner Taylor and seconded by Commissioner Callaway to approve the minutes of the January 20, 2011, Executive Session. The motion carried unanimously.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:38 p.m.
Tom Sublett, Chairman
Board of Commissioners
Glynn County , Georgia
Cindee S. Overstreet, Clerk