Sign and Banner Issues

Signs / Banners
A sign permit is required before a sign or banner may be painted on, erected or attached to, suspended from or supported on a building or structure; and before an existing sign may be enlarged, relocated or materially improved, except for painting of the structure or sign frame or the replacement of lights or mechanical parts.

Portable Signs (including signs on wheels or stands, as well as signs on wire or wooden supports) are prohibited under Section 805.1 (e) of the Zoning Ordinance.

Signs in the right-of-way are prohibited under Section 809 (a) of the Zoning Ordinance, and may only be permitted with the approval of the Glynn County Board of Commissioners.

Banners are permitted under Section 808.1 of the Zoning Ordinance, but require a permit from the Community Development Department and are subject to certain standards.

808.1 Banners
Banners shall be allowed in commercial, industrial and office districts and nonresidential uses in residential districts with the following conditions:

Updated through: November 1, 2007 Page: 8-17
  • (a) To be used for temporary purposes only, maximum of fourteen (14) days, and may be permitted a maximum of six (6) times during any twelve (12) month period, except as provided for in (b) below.
  • (b) A banner may be permitted on a new commercial, industrial or office location until the permanent sign has been erected provided that the permanent sign application has been approved and shall be removed when the permanent sign is erected.
  • (c) All four (4) sides to be tied down;
  • (d) All setbacks are to be met;
  • (e) One (1) banner per location with a maximum size of three and one half (3.5) feet by twenty (20) feet.
  • (f) A permit is obtained from Community Development

Real Estate Signs located on the property that is for sale are permitted under Section 808.9 of the Zoning Ordinance and do not require a permit, but are limited in area and must be removed within five (5) days after the transfer of the property has occurred.

Real Estate Signs not located on the property that is for sale (such as signs directing the public to an open house) are permitted for a twenty-four hour period and must be removed after that time.

Temporary Development Signs (i.e.: signs announcing that a development is coming or is under construction) are permitted under Section 808.9 (g) or (h) and do not require a permit, but are limited in size and time during which they can be displayed.

All permanent signs must display the sign permit number as provided in Section 906. Failure to display the required permit number may result in enforcement action.

For all other information and details on all of Sign Ordinances: