Request to Restrict or Expunge Arrest Record


Record restriction is a process that restricts eligible records on a person's official criminal history report from public view and makes them visible only to law enforcement for criminal justice purposes. Certain criminal history records can be restricted for non-criminal justice purposes including applying for employment or getting licenses.

Please use these links to access the forms and application

Criminal History Consent and Inquiry

Request to Restrict Record Application and Instructions form

An individual may have his or her record restricted if the prosecuting attorney determines that the type of case qualifies under Georgia law. The case qualifies if:

  • The offense was not referred to the prosecuting attorney for prosecution;
  • The prosecuting attorney dismisses the charge without seeking an indictment or filing an accusation;
  • The applicant has a first offender / conditional discharge conviction that was not previously restricted; or
  • The applicant has a conviction for certain misdemeanor offenses and meets restriction criteria.

If the type of case qualifies as an offense that could be restricted, the individual must also meet the following criteria:

  • No other criminal charges are pending; and
  • The individual has not been convicted of an offense within the specified time period after conviction.

The record will not be restricted if the charges were Nolle Prosequi, dead docketed, or otherwise dismissed because:

  • Of a plea agreement resulting in a conviction for an offense arising out of the same underlying transaction;
  • The government was barred from introducing material evidence;
  • A material witness refused to testify or was unavailable;
  • An individual was incarcerated on other criminal charges and the prosecuting attorney elected not to prosecute;
  • The conduct was part of a pattern or criminal activity; or
  • The individual had diplomatic or similar immunity

What do I need to start the process?

You must submit a completed application and a copy of your valid state issued picture identification to the Glynn County Police Department. 

Where can I get a certified copy of my final disposition?

You need to contact the  court clerk's office. 

If you were represented by an attorney, he/she may be able to assist you.

I applied and never received a response. Can I apply again?

You should contact us with any questions about your application, please call GCPD Records at 912-554-7820 or email [email protected]  

If my record restriction is complete, can anyone else see my arrest?

Record restriction removes arrests from the Employment level searches on the official Georgia Criminal History provided by the GBI. However, the case paperwork remains open. In order to seal the court paperwork, a petition must be filed with one of our judges to have the court paperwork sealed. 

If my conviction is very old, can it be restricted?

Yes, if your convictions meet the criteria for restriction.  

What misdemeanor convictions are NOT eligible for restriction?

You misdemeanor conviction cannot be restricted if it was for any of the following offenses: family violence simple assault, family violence simple battery, family violence battery, family violence stalking, violating a family violence order, child molestation, enticing a child for indecent purposes, improper sexual contact, public indecency, keeping a place of prostitution, pimping, pandering, sexual battery, obstructing or hindering a 911 call, peeping tom, any offense related to minors, certain theft convictions in violation of Chapter 8, Title 16, and serious traffic offenses.

Where can I file my restriction application?

Please contact GCPD Records at 157 Carl Alexander Way or by telephone at 912-554-7820.