After the All-Clear is Given
The danger is not over when the storm subsides. To avoid post-hurricane hazards, you should:
- Not drive unless absolutely necessary, and then, drive carefully watching for dangling electrical wires, undermined roads, and flooded low spots.
- Report damaged or broken water, sewer, gas, and electrical lines.
- Use caution in re-entering your home by checking for gas leaks, damaged electrical wiring and appliances, damage to the home, and spoiled food and water.
- Watch for snakes and animals, they may have sought refuge in your home. Remember they are frightened and may attack rather than run away.
- Do not sight-see, you could put yourself and others in danger.
- Report all hazards to appropriate agency.